I have suffered greatly with anxiety most of my life and was actually diagnosed with Generalized Anxiety Disorder and Panic Disorder in 2010. The Anxiety also lead to depression. Medications for that lead to weight gain and more depression. I was on 7 meds at one time and didn’t want to live that way anymore. I knew there had to be a better way so I started researching and trying things, researching and trying things. This lead to me learning a LOT about different natural remedies, what breaks the blood brain barrier and what does not. After two years of trial and error, this is what I took and did to get down to just one medication.
- Turmeric- Turmeric is obtained from the rhizome of a plant of the ginger family, used for flavoring and coloring in Asian cooking. It has amazing health benefits and also acts as a natural anti-depressant. I take it in capsule form. Read the Top 10 Health Benefits HERE.
- Fish Oil- Omega 3 fatty acids play a huge role in brain health and neurocommunication. It’s important to get a pure product so paying a little more is worth it. Read about Fish Oil and anxiety HERE.
- CBD Oil- Yes I went there. If you get the right product that is well made from a plant strain specifically geared to relieve anxiety you would be shocked at the results. I went through a few brands before finally being satisfied with Colorado Cures. You do take this like medicine and not as needed if you want a real benefit from it.
- Lavender- I sniff lavender on the regular. My son even got me this amazing little bracelet that you can put essential oils in. I keep lavender in it all the time and breath it in often throughout the day. You can also put a few drops in your hands, cup them around your face and inhale/exhale about 10 times. Wonderful. i recommend Young Living Lavender but you can also get high quality lavender at a reputable health food store.
- 5HTP- Many who recommend 5 HTP also recommend a GABA supplement. I do not. GABA supplements do not break the blood brain barrier and is ineffective in treating anxiety. 5 HTP however, does break the blood brain barrier and is a precursor to serotonin. Read more about 5 HTP HERE. Read about serotonin and the brain HERE.
- Eat Clean/Healthy- I didn’t make drastic changes to my diet, I made them a few at a time until it became easier for me to eat whole grains over white or a teaspoon of chia seeds. It takes a little time so be patient with this but the better you eat, the better you will feel over all. This one of course constitutes it’s own post so I will do that but for now I suggest you make 5 changes at a time. For example, switch to drinks with no sugar, try a whole grain pasta and bread instead of white, start eating darker greens, things like that.
There are more natural ways to combat anxiety including magnesium, KAVA and Vitamin B. Stay tuned for my podcast on this and I will go into more detail on each of these wonderful ways to heal your brain and also include some more. But if you start with these you will make great strides!