So you know those wedding vendors who already had a ton of blog followers before they started using Instagram?
Of course, they’re able to build their Instagram to 100k+ followers quickly! Their followers are simply coming from other platforms.
but what about the rest of us who don’t already have a large blog audience to bring to instagram?
What about those who are starting from scratch (or almost scratch)?
When I first started building my Instagram, I had virtually no blog following… well, besides my son.
I was in a perpetual state of the 24/7 hustle, trying to attract clients while nurturing the few clients I already had. It was hard to produce my best work while constantly worrying that client inquiries might disappear the next month.
It wasn’t until I made a few intentional tweaks to my Instagram feed while building a strong strategy that I started to alleviate some of that stress.
To my surprise (and delight), it helped me start booking clients more consistently too because Instagram gave my business a personal touch that larger businesses can’t compete with.
Here are some ways you can do the same:
HAVE A PLAN FOR EVERY INSTAGRAM POST
A strong Instagram strategy is what separates a pretty feed from a highly converting feed. (Tweet it!)
While you want your Instagram grid to be beautifully designed, there has to be more of a strategy behind each post than just “this is gorgeous so it’s worth publishing.”
Before putting effort into seriously growing your Instagram following, it’s a good idea to revisit your brand strategy and business plan.
You may have an idea of what your visual aesthetic is (ours is clean and sophisticated with a pop of fun color!), but do you know your most foundational brand elements? Here’s what you should have nailed down:
- Your brand mission statement: This often referred to as your business’s purpose or your “why”. It states who you are, what you do, and who you help.
- Your business goals: Everything you post on Instagram should tie back into one of your business goals. If you have a business plan, which we highly recommend building than you can pull directly from your goals there.
- Your ideal client: Before you post on Instagram, you have to know who you’re talking to. The more specific, the better you’ll be at attracting your most ideal couples.
CREATE YOUR VISUAL BRAND IDENTITY
We’re talking way beyond your logo, too.
A consistent visual brand identity helps you attract more high-end couples and charge premium prices for your services. Why? Because attention to detail in design usually shows an attention to detail in the client process.
You know your visual brand identity is high-end when…
- Your colors match the mood of your visuals. Don’t use bright pops of pink if your Instagram photos are dark, moody, and rustic.
- You only use a select few fonts that are paired well together. Oh, and that are readable too.
- Your color palette on Instagram matches the one on your website.
- You have enough white space in your designs. Hello, breathing room!
- You use the rule of thirds in your photography.
Don’t have a strong visual brand identity yet? I’d recommend gathering some online design inspiration to get a feel for the kinds of visuals you like. Do you like minimal and clean or bold and edgy? Do you like looped scripts or thin and simple fonts?
Once you’ve discovered your style, invest in a branding designer so you can create a full visual brand identity that won’t need to be refreshed every 6 months. (We’ve been there!)
BE ENGAGING AND BUILD YOUR COMMUNITY
Now that you’re more confident in your Instagram strategy and visual brand identity, let’s talk about how to encourage interaction and create engaging content. #yesgirlyes
Without comments and engaged replies, your Instagram feed just looks like a bunch of photos. People could go to Pinterest or even Google Images for that.
Building your Instagram by interacting with your ideal clients transforms your feed into a full-blown community.
Potential clients like to build relationships with their wedding vendors before they even inquire about their services. Show that you’re excited to connect with your ideal clients so they can’t wait to work with you.
Here’s a few ways to get started with building an Instagram community:
- Reply back to every comment: When you have comments on your photos, that means you’re already inspiring engagement. Congrats! Put some thought behind your replies and make sure to continue the conversation.
- Find similarities with your ideal clients: When you know who you’re talking to, it’s easier to show what you have in common with them through your Instagram posts. This creates an instant connection.
- Get personal: Brides love working with wedding vendors who they could see themselves hanging out with even outside of their wedding day. Showing the behind-the-scenes look into my life on Instagram is one of the best things I’ve done to grow my audience and business.
- Use relevant hashtags: It’s important to place your content in areas your ideal brides are already looking through. Hashtags help you do just that.
READY TO GET SERIOUS ABOUT GROWING YOUR INSTAGRAM, FOR REAL THIS TIME?
I’m sharing my biggest Instagram secrets through my new free 7 lesson email course on all things Instagram marketing.
You’ll hear what I did right, what I did wrong, and how I’ve learned along the way. Let’s turn your Instagram presence around – start the Instagram Secrets email course today: comment with email address or email firstname.lastname@example.org to sign up!